4-Port FC/GE Retimer and FC-AL Port Bypass Controller
• Supports 4 Fibre Channel Physical
Interfaces at 1.0625 or 2.125 Gbit/s
per Fibre Channel – Physical Interface
(FC-PI) or 4 Gigabit Ethernet Retimers
at 1.25 Gbit/s per IEEE 802.3z.
• Each port supports FC 1G or 2G rate
• Supports Arbitrated Loop and Retimer
• Each port is independently selectable
to perform retimer, reclocker or
• Non-blocking crossconnect supports
protection switching, broadcasting and
• Automatic selection of retimer,
reclocker or bypass-path function to
minimize latency and jitter when a disk
• Per-port receive monitoring for loss of
signal, error rate, and link level
• Supports single-ended or differential
106.25 MHz reference clock REFCLK
for Fibre Channel applications or
125 Mhz reference clock for Gigabit
• High-speed outputs with selectable pre-
emphasis per port to counteract
dielectric losses and allow maximum
reach on printed circuit boards.
• Selectable receive input equalization for
improved signal integrity.
• Minimized board footprint and improved
signal integrity achieved because:
• No external components are required
to interface the high-speed signals to
optics, coax, or serial backplanes
using the internal AC coupling
capacitors and terminating resistors.
• Receive input termination of 100 Ω or
150 Ω differential is selectable.
• Source output impedance of 100 Ω or
150 Ω differential is programmable.
TEST AND CONTROL
• Supports optional 2-pin serial
management interface using selectable
Two-Wire Interface (TWI) or MDC/MDIO
protocol for configuration and diagnostic
• For normal mode of operation, a
management interface is not required.
• Digital Loss of Link (DLOLB) detect
outputs for monitoring individual or
multiple links. DLOLB can be
programmed to indicate excessive
8B/10B code error rate, loss of
synchronization, loss of signal, CRC32
errors, or comma density.
• Interrupt output to flag changes in
bypass state and DLOLB error
• Supports built-in self-test (BIST) via
internal Fibre Channel pattern
generation and checking.
• External control pins can be overwritten
PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL TO PMC-SIERRA, INC.,
AND FOR ITS CUSTOMERS’ INTERNAL USE
© Copyright PMC-Sierra, Inc. 2003.
All rights reserved.