The TPS2045 and TPS2055 power-distribution switches are intended for applications where heavy capacitive loads and short circuits are likely. Each of these 135-mΩ N-channel MOSFET high-side power switches is controlled by a logic enable compatible with 5-V and 3-V logic. Gate drive is provided by an internal charge pump that controls the power-switch rise times and fall times to minimize current surges during switching. The charge pump requires no external components and allows operation from supplies as low as 2.7 V.
When the output load exceeds the current-limit threshold or a short is present, the TPS2045 and TPS2055 limit the output current to a safe level by switching into a constant-current mode, pulling the overcurrent (OC) logic output low. When continuous heavy overloads and short circuits increase the power dissipation in the switch, causing the junction temperature to rise, a thermal protection circuit shuts off the switch in overcurrent to prevent damage. Recovery from a thermal shutdown is automatic once the device has cooled sufficiently. Internal circuitry ensures the switch remains off until valid input voltage is present.
The TPS2045 and TPS2055 are designed to limit at 0.44-A load. These power-distribution switches, available in 8-pin small-outline integrated circuit (SOIC) and 8-pin plastic dual-in-line packages (PDIP), operate over an ambient temperature range of –40°C to 85°C.
● 135-mΩ -Maximum (5-V Input) High-Side
● 250 mA Continuous Current
● Short-Circuit and Thermal Protection With
Overcurrent Logic Output
● Operating Range . . . 2.7-V to 5.5-V
● Logic-Level Enable Input
● 2.5-ms Typical Rise Time
● Undervoltage Lockout
● 10 µA Maximum Standby Supply Current
● Bidirectional Switch
● Available in 8-pin SOIC and PDIP Packages
● Ambient Temperature Range, –40°C to 85°C
● 2-kV Human-Body-Model, 200-V
Machine-Model ESD Protection
● Notebook, Desktop and Palmtop PCs
● Monitors, Keyboards, Scanners, and
● Digital Cameras, Phones, and PBXs
● Hot-Insertion Applications